Friday, August 5

Building New Skills

Time flies when you're learning something new right?

That's what I originally thought. When using our mother tongue to work, everything seems to go so quickly. We may even think of other frivolous things as we work. We multitask and sometimes end up feeling as if we have missed out on hours!

Today was not that day for me. It's my sixth time transcribing Chinese conversations between 10 and 20 minutes. The difference here is the severity of the job. The information will be used in a legal case, and while not too technical itself, I must pay vulture attention to detail. I don't want to be the cause of a mistrial or a negative result for the innocent party.

After a few hours of listening and re-listening, typing and re-typing, it feels like a day well spent. Mandarin was the prevailing dialect, but I was able to pick up some of the Shanghainese on my own. Obviously my colleague will double check the Shanghainese.

In the future, I hope to be able to transcribe my favorite dialect, the lovely Sichuanese.

Until next time~~!